Sunday 4 September 2011

My foray into Harry Potter fan fiction

Watching the last Harry Potter movie last week (so good until the end when they screwed up the epic fight scene, seriously what the hell was that ?!), I was ever reminded of the complete lack of chemistry between the actors playing Harry and Ginny. At first I thought this was just fairly bad acting from the pair of them...then I thought maybe they're attempting to tell the unwritten story of Harry Potter? This is how I think it went. 

Harry Potter: epilogue
It had been a difficult week for Harry. Killing Voldemort, saving the wizarding world, making peace with Snape…it all paled against what he had to do next. Sometimes when the war is over, things that could be settled on the battlefield would now have to go through the Human Rights Courts. First the Nuremburg trials, now the Wizengamot. Now seated in the witness box, Harry found his eyes surveying the crowd. His glance found Hermione looking tense but supportive, swept over Ron who looked confused, meeting Ginny’s who returned the stare and appeared to mouth something. Harry flinched and looked away, closing his eyes involuntarily.
“All rise for the case of Potter versus Weasley”, came a disembodied voice. “The allegations are as followed; Sexual assault, conspiracy to commit sexual assault and finally attempted rape. Will the accused stand”?
Looking dazed, as though she still couldn’t comprehend what was going on, Ginny stood up.
“How do you plea, Miss Weasley”? asked the newly appointed head of the Wizengamot, Chief Justice McGonagall. Ginny’s lawyer sprang up.
“If it pleases the court”, Ginny’s lawyer said, then stopped. She looked around and appeared to clutch at some empty air. “Damn it! I almost caught it that time”!
“Defence Counsel, Lovegood, kindly remember that you are representing your client against a very serious charge” said Chief Justice McGonagall. Harry had no idea why the Courts would have appointed Luna Lovegood. Not only had she not graduated, but she had never displayed the slightest interest or aptitude for wizarding law.
“I apologise Chief Justice”, replied Luna Lovegood, looking slightly abashed. “My client pleads not guilty”.
Harry stared at his shoes, wondering at the brazenness of the girl he had once considered dating.
Harry’s lawyer patted him comfortingly. “Don’t worry”, said Susan Bones, “We’ll win this case. She doesn’t have a leg to stand on”.
“When were you first made to feel uncomfortable by the defendant”? asked Susan Bones to Harry.
Harry took a deep breath, trying to get to his happy place. He was on his Firebolt flying free in the sky. He felt himself calming down. He stared ahead of him and tried to keep his voice steady.
“I was staying with my friend, Ron Weasley, at his house the Burrow”, Harry began. “I was just walking down the stairs when I was stopped by Ginny. She offered to tie my shoe laces. I tried to say no but she was too fast. She knelt down and I felt…violated. Like she was undressing me with her eyes. I thanked her and tried to put the incident behind me”.
Luna stood up. “So at no time did you vocalise your discomfort”? How was my client to know that anything was amiss”?
“Later on”, Harry said, ignoring the interruption, “I began to have dreams about her. Whenever I tried to sleep I would have flashbacks of the incident, remembering how powerless I felt. It made it really difficult for me to devote all my energies to destroying Voldemort, and thus saving the entire wizarding world”.
There was a sympathetic murmur from the crowd. Chief Justice McGonagall actually shook her fist in Ginny’s direction before remembering that she was supposed to be impartial.
“But the worst thing was, once I got to back to Hogwarts. From that point on it felt that everywhere I went she was following me, joining every activity I did. She even took my place on the Quidditch team. It was like she was trying to capture my essence”, or to engineer a situation where we would be alone together. And one day she succeeded”.
“I went to the Room of Requirement to dispose of my potion's book which at that point I suspected was filled with dark magic. And when I turned around there was Ginny. She ordered me to close my eyes and such was my fear of her that I obeyed. And that’s when the groping started”.
Harry bowed his head, trying to force himself to go on. He tried going back to his happy place, flying his firebolt during a Quidditch match. But this time Ginny was there, flying after him.
Chief Justice McGonagall looked at Ginny with disgust. Ginny tried to find her lawyer, but Luna had left ages ago, intent on capturing some nargles .
“In the absence of the defendants lawyer, this Court moves to convict the defendant on all charges. She is to be sentence to 15 months imprisonment in Azkaban. Hopefully when she comes out it will be with a new awareness of the rights of others to live their lives unafraid and unmolested”.
The Court erupted in a deafening haze of applause. Even Ron joined in before he realised what he was doing. Harry felt a weight lift of his shoulders. Finally the most traumatic event in his life could be put to rest.

Will Ginny escape from wizarding prison? Find out soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment